»

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Little Holiday Flashback

I was dropping my boys off at OHS this morning when this came on the radio, and I experienced a HUGE wave of nostalgia!!! I had a memory of pulling into the parking lot in my Dad's little, white, VW Rabbit, and sitting in my parking place until this song was over. I couldn't get enough of it!



I have always been passionately into music. My big celebrity crushes were always on musicians rather than actors. :) I LOVE watching this video... from back in the day when all the recording artists I was madly in love with were still young and HOT! Mmmmm! Sting, John Taylor, Simon LeBon, Bob Geldof and so many others! If I had to pick a favorite, I would have to say that, although he may not be the #1 pretty boy of the bunch, Bono's voice still gives me chills... every time! Something that strikes me now (that didn't in 1984, because back then I put so much value on a pretty face, and let's be honest... he was sorta troll-like...) is how incredibly talented and multifaceted a man Phil Collins was. Singer, actor, businessman, and just watch him on the drums in this video! WOW!

Some people thought this endeavor was little more than a showy ego-fest, but I will always defend it. This record breaking album is STILL re-released in small numbers every year, and is STILL earning money for charity, all of which is managed by The Band Aid Charitable Trust. No on can deny that it was an evocative piece which brought attention and assistance where it was badly needed. An awareness of and compassion for our fellow human beings is something we should all cultivate... at Christmas and always. If a song can turn our thoughts to others, I think it can be considered a huge success!

No comments: